[ilds] ILDS Digest, Vol 42, Issue 8_the blue really begins in the Aegean

Sumantra Nag sumantranag at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 00:25:11 PDT 2010

"But I have to say that the blue really begins in the Aegean around Rhodes
and Crete."

My wife, my younger son and I visited Crete for a week in 2007 from India
and we can say that the intense blue of the sea certainly struck us on all
the shores of the island which we visited, and made seabathing all the more
attractive at each different beach! The glistening blue of the Aegean is
noticeable if compared for instance with the Mediterranean off the southern
coast of Spain where we were two years earlier in 2005. While in Crete, we
travelled by catamaran to Santorini for a day and although you can't see the
sea well enough on this short journey, the sight of the caldera at Santorini
also brings the blue into prominence. Yes the Aegean is magically blue.

It is a long time since I read South Wind. I remember the characters more
than the descriptions of landscape, and the extract given by Wilson, Frazer
is captivating ("...He saw the bluffs of feathery pumice, the lava
precipices--frozen cataracts of white, black, blood red, pale grey and
sombre brown, smeared over with a vitreous enamel of obsidian or pierced by
oily, writhing dykes that blazed with metallic scintillations.")

I recall the Duke (?) on the island in South Wind who creates "ancient"
sculpture for gullible Americans. He speaks about a sage like teacher of his
who advised him about life by saying (roughly)....

'Don't delve too deep into the past for it will make you derivative; don't
delve too deep into yourself because it will make you introspective. But
delve deep into the living world and forge your own links with it. Then you
will be unassailable.'

I'm sure someone can give the correct text from South Wind!

Best wishes

Sumantra