[ilds] Summae litterarum

Denise Tart & David Green dtart at bigpond.net.au
Thu Sep 9 13:33:48 PDT 2010

Bruce, I quite agree. Shakespeare's style and language do not move much beyond the time of his death and the young of his day were already speaking with a new voice. the court too had changed under the Stuart kings to a sparer and more recognizably modern style (possibly a Scottish influence). Shakespeare was the last of the medieval's. He was Catholic too and at odds with the rising protestantism of his time, so yes I think his work is a literary summa of a vanishing world in the same way that Durrell's island book tend to absorb the silver age prose he admired rather than anticipate a new style. And indeed I would argue that there have been no 'travel' books like his in recent times - that blend of fact, fiction, personal experience, history and spirit of place. but it would hard to classify these books as Prospero's Cell is significantly different from Bitter Lemons. Sicilian Carousel I have not read yet. AS to plagiarism, well to my mind, all writers are guilty of this. their word hoard comes from many sources, often unacknowledged. Get something up on the list about this literary summa concept in relation to the island books. it may draw some keen responses.

Cheers

David