[ilds] Somewhere between Calabria and Corfu theblue reallybegins

Denise Tart & David Green dtart at bigpond.net.au
Wed Sep 8 23:31:59 PDT 2010

Bruce,

I have seen references to the beast with two backs in other texts - older than Shakespeare's. it appears to be a late medieval English term but may have translations in other languages. I am sure the French have something equally descriptive?

Re Durrell and Douglas I like the idea posted recently regarding 'where the blue really begins' which suggests that Durrell was acknowledging Douglas but moving beyond Italy to Greece. It may have been unconscious, but it is a nice idea anyway. Durrell owed a fair bit to Norman Douglas. Old Calabria and South Wind are great reads. But I have to say that the blue really begins in the Aegean around Rhodes and Crete.

David