[ilds] A QUESTION AND AN OBSERVATION

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 31 10:58:27 PDT 2010

I've read Bowker's biography but only parts of MacNiven's.  Still, I find your comments fresh, insightful, and provocative.  Durrell's flight from England has been discussed before, with the majority of the opinion that he wasn't temperamentally suited for the discipline of Cambridge or Oxford.  My opinion is that Oxbridge would have done young Durrell a lot of good.  MacNiven also suggests that Durrell may not have even taken the entrance examinations to Cambridge (p. 697, n. 71).  So, LD's claim that he failed the exams "about eight times" (The Paris Review, 22, Autumn-Winter 1960) may have been a lie.  The pattern seems to be that Durrell dissembles and throws up smoke screens.  That, I think, accounts for the confusion you've detected.  As some critic has said of Iago in Othello, the problem is not that Iago lacks motivation for his crime, rather that he provides too many reasons for hating the Moor.  I too am confused about Durrell's explanation(s) of his motivation.

You're onto something about the son mimicking his father the engineer.  (The lost father haunts David Mountolive:  "The defection of his father stood always between them as their closest bond" [Mountolive, p. 97].)  I like the analogy.  I also like bringing in Cézanne and his concern for an underlying structure (although I can't recall LD citing Cézanne as one of his "exemplars").  Re Space-Time, I've finished another reading of J. Frank's classic, The Idea of Spatial Form (1945, 1991), which treats Modernism's use of time as space.  Had Durrell read that, he would have realized his project wasn't novel.  Proust, Joyce, and Djuna Barnes were all ahead of him.  He might have learned that at Cambridge.

Bruce