[ilds] antinomian vs. ascetic gnostics

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 2 13:09:09 PDT 2010

Thanks for the references, Charles.  They help to clarify, but it's still hard to imagine how Gnosticism went off in two polar directions.  On the individual level, Blake's notions of "excess" are not reflected his personal life.  If I'm right, his marriage was lasting, loving, and conventional, beyond the story that Mr. and Mrs. Blake liked to read Paradise Lost in their garden, sitting in the nude.  He wasn't a habitué of brothels.  It may be relevant to recall the background of Durrell's letter to Diana Gould.  She was a tall beauty of considerable intelligence, and Durrell was completely taken with her — besotted might be the right word.  She was also a woman of numerous affairs, so old LD may have been trying to impress her with his own worldliness.  It's hard to know to what degree Durrell believed his own odd statements.  The Durrell-Gould correspondence needs to be published.

Bruce