[ilds] beloved Kabbalah!

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 2 10:57:45 PDT 2010

Re the "Cabal" and Carlo Suares, the relevant sections occur on pp. 307-10 of Michael Haag's Alexandria:  City of Memory (2004).  I'm not sure how Durrell (influenced by Suares) makes the jump from the Kabbalah to his personal philosophy or "heraldic principle," as expressed in the "airgraph" to Diana Gould, about "self-indulgence."  Namely:  "Where you wish to conquer indulge and refine, never prohibit" (p. 308).  This reminds me of Blake's Proverbs of Hell and his philosophy of excess:  "The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom," "Prisons are built with stone of law, brothels with bricks of religion," "The cistern contains; the fountain overflows," etc.  Is there a connection outside of Durrell's rampant imagination?

Bruce