[ilds] Fwd: Catherine Aldington (1938-2010)

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 14:28:08 PDT 2010

Forwarded from David Wilkinson.  I'm sure many on this list will
remember Catherine Aldington's "Letter to Larry" in the 1987 /Twentieth
Century Literature/.

-James

-------------------------------

CATHERINE ALDINGTON [1938-2010]

'I am selfish enough to be pleased that she loves me more than anyone
else in the world, because that is how I feel about her!' [RA to HD.
9th August 1939].

Catherine Aldington died in France on 20^th July 2010 barely three weeks
after her seventy-second birthday. Catha was born in Marylebone in July
1938. She was the daughter and only child of Richard Aldington and Netta
Patmore, formerly McCulloch. When she was seven months old her parents
shipped her out to America on the /S. S./ /Aquitania /arriving in New
York on 17th February 1939. By April 1941 they were in Florida before
heading for Hollywood where Catha spent her childhood years. Catha
returned to Europe with her parents in 1946 and settled in Paris over
the winter of 1946-1947. The family then moved south to Le Lavandou from
August 1947 through to February 1951 during which time Netta returned to
England. Catha remained with her father, moving in the spring of 1951 to
Montpellier. It was from here that Catha matriculated at nearby
University of Aix in October 1960. Her father died in July 1962 after
which Catha made her final move to the marshes in the tranquil
surroundings of the Carmargue where she met and married Jacques
Guillaume. As the direct link to the literary world of her father, Catha
did not suffer fools and was always on the alert when approached. A poet
herself, Catha was nevertheless reluctant to step into the limelight and
came to terms with being the daughter of a respected writer by
translating his work into French. Her acclaimed translation of Richard
Aldington's poem /Reverie dans le Jardin du Luxembourg /was published in
1986 by Actes Sud.

Her death, coming so soon after the death of Norman Gates who championed
her father only adds to the greater sense of loss that surrounds us; she
will be sadly missed by a body of international friends. Let us all hope
that there will not be a flurry of academic jousting amongst those left
behind and that Catha may be allowed to rest in peace. On a personal
level, my friendship with Catha extends back to 1986. I believe we
helped each other through some difficult times. We even laid various
plans for her to come over to Cornwall but it was never to be. Over
recent years dear Catha endured a prolonged and painful illness but
towards the end she was ready to go.

Catherine Aldington leaves a widespread family in England, France and
Italy but more significantly, her twin daughters Karine and Florence and
their children. The wishes of the family have yet to be made known but I
understand that a Memorial gathering is being held at /Les Pelegrins/ at
10.00 am on 23rd July. Already Catha's email service has been closed.
Friends wishing to pay their respects might write to The family of
Catherine Aldington at Mas 'Les Pellegrins,' Quartier Pont Gau, 13460
Saintes Maries de la Mer, France.

Catha's passing will inevitably affect the next issue of the /New
Canterbury Literary Society Newsletter /for which Andrew Frayn has put
his head in the noose as guest editor. Please send personal
recollections of Catha and indeed other items of Aldingtonia to him. His
email address is: andrew.frayn at manchester.ac.uk

David Wilkinson

St. Ives, Cornwall

22nd July 2010