[ilds] "for an account of that sort of life, Kipling."

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 27 14:06:16 PDT 2010

James,

I don't see a problem here.  I'm not arguing about the literary history of the 20th century.  I'm focusing on a man and his use of language in a non-literary context.  Fiction, by definition, is language that is untrue.  Metaphors are not literally true.  To say someone has "eagle eyes" is literally false.  Now, in conversation, statements can be factually true or false.  That's why we have the word lie, and we all know what that means.  That's why the law requires an oath to be taken prior to testimony.  I'm saying Durrell's supposed statements of fact — "My first language was Hindi" ("From the Elephant's Back") and "We all spoke Urdu" (according to R. Pine) — were most probably lies — lies that Durrell turned into his own private myth about India and Tibet.  Did he believe these lies?  Probably not at first, but later yes, or so I think.  Throughout Durrell's oeuvre there're many, many claims about the illusionary nature of Reality, where a character says, as in The Black Book, "Everything is plausible now because nothing is real."  Similar examples can be found in Prospero's Cell, the Quartet, Sicilian Carousel, etc.  I think Durrell truly believed this.  So, if someone lives in a world where everything is possible, where Truth is just another illusion, where metaphors reign supreme and can be constructed according to one's fancy, then lying in everyday conversation is probably the least of one's worries.

Bruce