[ilds] "for an account of that sort of life, Kipling."

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 27 09:33:03 PDT 2010

Pine also says, "I should have added, that, in conversation with myself, recalling his childhood, LD said 'We all spoke Urdu'. Does this complicate matters further?"

Young Durrell a speaker of Urdu and Hindi?  Possible but likely?  What's the evidence for this in Durrell's later work and "stories" of his past?  A few scattered words of Urdu or Hindi is not evidence for speaking either language.  I know a few words and phrases of Spanish, learned in part from my mother who was a native speaker of Spanish, but I never spoke the language.  I never learned Spanish.

This is nitpicking?  I don't think so.  LGD's greatest gift was his use of metaphor.  Read "From the Elephant's Back" — it's packed with metaphors which Durrell uses to describe his method and vision/philosophy.  He hauls in Einstein's Relativity again and now adds Quantum Mechanics.  Does he know the physics and mathematics behinds these terms?  Absolutely not.  These are just metaphors he likes to play with.  Now, his childhood in India became a metaphor for something lost, unattainable, and, if you will, "devoutely to be wished":  the dream of Tibet.  That idea is very close to the "blue flower" of German Romanticism, Novalis's "die blaue Blume."  I'm suggesting that Durrell's dream of India was just that, largely a dream.  It had some basis in fact, but he later used it as a metaphor which he embellished, elaborated, and turned into a dream.  And that's the way I take his statements about speaking Hindi and Urdu.  They're not statements of fact — they're metaphors.

Bruce