[ilds] ILDS Digest, Vol 39, Issue 11_Urdu, Hindi and Hindustani

Sumantra Nag sumantranag at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 01:48:03 PDT 2010

Bruce,

Indians were settled in Burma before WWII, working there as professionals.

In India ,Hindi (and Hindustani) are very widely used across country and in
some form, Hindustani would have been in use in Darjeeling where Durrell
went to school. Politically Darjeeling is actually a part of Bengal, an
eastern state of India, but being located in the northern hilly region, the
town falls within a region where the indigenous hill tribes are located.
They would have their own languages and dialects.

I should add that Hindi and Hindustani have their source in the northern
part of India. The eastern, southern and western states have their own
distinct languages - not dialects of Hindi. But Hindi or more commonly
Hindustani can form a common language for basic communication between people
belonging to different parts of the country.

Sumantra