[ilds] rope tricks & "the completeness of falsehood"

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 21 12:37:22 PDT 2010

Charles,

Good discussion about a topic that interests me a great deal:  the difference between storytelling and lying.  I'm limiting my comments to the first paragraph of Durrell's "From the Elephant's Back."  A little close analysis.

1.  The context of the original talk at the Centre Pompidou, Paris.  I haven't read the full opening remarks, which are apparently in French, my knowledge of which is meager.  I find it hard to imagine, however, that a French audience would take Durrell's prefatory comment about "the theory and practice of fiction in relation to myself" to mean that the purpose of his talk was to entertain his listeners with a bunch of "tall tales."  The French are indeed subtle and capable of making "fine distinctions," but should they, or any audience for that matter, be expected to know when an author is lying, fabricating, inventing, improvising, or not?  Would any literary audience enjoy being hoodwinked, like attendees at a magic show?  Not I.  I guess I'm naive, but when I hear an author talk about his life, I expect the straight skinny and not a pack of untruths.  And apparently Bowker and MacNiven do too, for they appear to take "From the Elephant's Back" at face value, although making allowances for some inaccuracies, the latter's "innocent example of fiction revising reality."

2.  Making allowances for Durrell's assertions seems to be a frequent headache for both Bowker and MacNiven.  Note how often the word claim, noun or verb, appears in their biographies, statements like, "Durrell's claim of x" or "Durrell claimed x" (Bowker:  pp. 1, 3, 17, 23, passim; MacNiven:  pp. 13, 40, 52, 67, passim).  They're guarded about his "claims," but I've yet to see either of them deal with the problem head-on, although Bowker mentions "Irish blarney" (p. 25).

3.  Kipling.  Good point.  We agree on the influence of Kipling, but we disagree on its function.  I see it as a distortion of fact, not as "self-mythologizing inheritance."  Doesn't Kipling's pervasive influence make you suspicious that Durrell's self-portrait is too Kiplingesque?  Don't you think that it's too fetching, that what we're being treated to in this essay is not an accurate memoir, as it pretends to be, rather a fabrication, a glossy, Kiplingesque postcard from India?  So, we get another Jungle Book, one with a Hindi-speaking child of Anglo-Indian parentage, replete with pith helmet, monkeys, cobra, mongoose, and elephant.  And if that weren't enough, old LD throws in the "Indian Rope Trick," which never existed, and a view of Mount Everest, which doesn't exist in Darjeeling?  I'd say this "soup-mix recipe" of colonial India owes too much to Kipling and is a pastiche of his work, as you've also noted.  LD has out-Kipling Kipling.  Fakes do that kind of thing.  That's one way we know they're fakes — they're too idealized, too much what we expect.

4.  "The point is not that lying occurs, but rather that one carries the thing out with gusto and sprezzatura."  Sprezzatura?  I couldn't disagree more.  For me, the point is that lying occurs in a context where I expect honest answers.

5.  The Indian Rope Trick.  Durrell's claim that he saw it in India is almost certainly false, as false as the claim he saw Mount Everest in Darjeeling, assuming MacNiven is correct.  Maybe Sumantra can verify this geographic fact.  I have no immediate plans to travel to India.

6.  Durrell as "consummate fabricator."  Yes, we agree on that point.  We don't agree on the ethical relationship between fabricating and lying, when it comes to art and life.  I see a distinction between the two, and so did Durrell, when he claims, "I find art easy.  I find life difficult."  I wonder if, in part, he found art "easy" because there fabricating was both necessary and permissible, but in life lying made things "difficult."  The skills of one are not easily transferable to the other.

Bruce