[ilds] faking it

Charles Sligh Charles-Sligh at utc.edu
Mon Jun 21 06:24:29 PDT 2010

> I'm particularly interested in how Ruthven distinguishes between faking it in literature and faking it in everyday life.

I am afraid that there is no need to go so far afield.

A definitive treatment of this topic was written by Lawrence Durrell.
This book is called /The Alexandria Quartet /(1957-1960).

In that study, Durrell dramatically and convincingly collapses the
distinctions between "faking it in literature and faking it in everyday
life."

Durrell's conclusions are provocative, somewhat controversial, and, by a
certain measure, irrefutable.

        ABSTRACT: Darley seems to learn that Justine seems to have been
        "faking it" the whole time.

For those readers interested in checking Durrell's findings against a
second authority, I recommend an earlier study in this same field of
"faking it," Shakespeare's /Hamlet/.

C&c.

Assistant Professor
Department of English