[ilds] Durrell's propensity to lie

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 20 08:33:15 PDT 2010

Usually people make a distinction between storytelling, the process of making literature, and living in the real world of everyday life.  I'm beginning to doubt that Lawrence G. Durrell saw a difference between the two.  Re the real world, we all lie on occasion.  I myself try to keep it at a minimum and hate myself when I do.  Not so with Durrell, who seemed to make a profession of it and delight in the results, as some are suggesting.  I suspect he justified lying either because he had a very flexible notion of Truth, which we've discussed before, or because he "wanted to believe" things happened in a certain way, as MacNiven suggests on one occasion.  I grant that the latter may not be strictly speaking a "lie," which depends on self-awareness.  If so, then we enter the area of the pathological.

Bruce