[ilds] "Difficulty of Determining From the Evidence Its Reality or Unreality"

Charles Sligh Charles-Sligh at utc.edu
Sun Jun 20 06:14:42 PDT 2010

Godshalk, William (godshawl) wrote:
> Well, okay, it's a hoax. And a young kid was taken in -- as many older folks were. Durrell thought that the hoax was the real thing. Houdini got away with hoax after hoax.

Professor Godshalk (a hand goes up in the back of the hall)--

What about the other sort of "rope tricks," sir?

I mean, of course, the sort of "ropery" performed on the boards by
Shakespeare and his gang of disreputable and dissolute Elizabethan fakers.

Cf. the following selections, which show us that "rope-trick" clearly
meant roguish rhetoric and tricks long before other storytellers
exported the trick to India &c.

>         I pray you, sir, let him go while the humour
>         lasts. A my word, an she knew him as well as
>         I do, she would think scolding would do little
>         good upon him: she may perhaps call him half
>         a score knaves or so: why, that's nothing; an
>         he begin once, *he'll rail in his rope-tricks*. I'll
>         tell you what, sir, an she stand him but a little,
>         he will throw a figure in her face and so dis-
>         figure her with it that she shall have no more eyes
>         to see withal than a cat. You know him not, sir.
        /The Taming of the Shrew/ 1.2.107+

>         Marry, farewell!—I pray you, sir, what saucy merchant was
>         this, that was *so full of his ropery *?
        /Romeo and Juliet /2.5.130+

"I'm all for tightrope acts, and fakirs, and trolleys full of pins,
provided they entertain" (Cf. /The Black Book/).  Let the "saucy
merchants," showmen, and rogues thrive.

Professor Godshalk and I will be keeping a close lookout for the "Rope
Trick" when we go on expedition in July.

We will write down in our notebooks and publish any findings that we
make here.

We will also be bound acknowledge that what we find or fail to find in
Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana does not
determine what may or may not be found elsewhere upon this vasty globe &c.

On "&c.," cf. /Hamlet/ 1.5.

Admitting that I, for one, have never seen the Great Wall.

C&c.

> *MYSTERY OF THE INDIAN ROPE TRICK
> *
> *Difficulty of Determining From the Evidence Its Reality or Unreality*
*Current Opinion LXVI (May 1919): 304 - 305.*

> [...]
> flung upwards, and which seemed to disappear in the starlight. He
> ordered the boy to climb up it, which he did till he became invisible.
> Then the conjuror shouted to him, telling him to come down. The call
> met with no response. The conjuror shouted several times in
>
> succession, but with no better success. At last, with every sign of
> anger, he drew out a formidable knife, climbed up the rope himself,
> and became, like the boy, invisible. Then something happened. One of
> the boy's bleeding limbs came tumbling down to the ground. This was
> followed by another; 'and,' says the traveler, 'the spectacle was so
> horrible that I fainted, and was conscious of nothing till I found my
> host bending over me, and forcing me to swallow some sort of strong
> liquor. "You needn't be afraid," he said with a complacent smile. "The
> whole thing was merely a piece of jugglery." ' If the ropetrick is
> really nothing more than a myth, how does it happen that the few
> persons who declare that they have seen it ever conceived the idea of
> so unlikely a performance, and agree so minutely with regard to its
> essential details?"
>
> Ib'n Batuta was demonstrably a man of most accurate observation, as
> many of the buildings described by him still exist. He was also
> inclined to be skeptical rather than credulous. Thus he doubted the
> existence of the great wall of China on the ground that he had failed
> to come across a single human being who had seen it or could mention
> any acquaintance who even pretended to have done so. Nevertheless, all
> of us know the great wall to be a reality. May not the rope trick,
> asks this writer, be a reality also, tho the question still remains
> how the trick is performed? On the other hand, the editor of The Magic
> Circular (London), Mr. W. S. Clarke, a high authority on tricks and
> illusions of conjurors, doubted if anyone had ever seen the trick in
> our time until two persons at the convention of magicians in England
> last February announced that they had seen a version of the rope trick
> performed. Here is an extract from the London Times:
>
> "One of the most interesting contributions to the debate came from
> Lieutenant F. W. Holmes, V.C., who said that he had seen a version of
> the trick on two or three occasions. On the last occasion, in 1917, he
> was able to take a snapshot of the trick, which he produced. This
> showed the fakir, with a taut rope or pole and the boy balanced at the
> top of it Lieutenant Holmes declared emphatically that the boy never
> disappeared from sight, and his own theory was that the fakir
> substituted for the coil of rope a telescopic bamboo pole. Mr. A.
> Yurif Ali, C.B.E., declared that as a boy of seven he saw the rope
> trick performed, but never since, and he also saw the conjurer cut his
> own tongue out, chop it up, and replace it. In the rope trick he is
> convinced that the boy disappeared entirely."
http://books.google.com/books?pg=PA304&dq=%22rope+trick%22&ei=KQkeTLvDCsL_lgfP0sHyDA&ct=result&id=dnwAAAAAYAAJ#v=onepage&q=%22rope%20trick%22&f=false

Assistant Professor
Department of English
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga