[ilds] the rope trick

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 23:35:56 PDT 2010

Hey Bruce,

What about the Nunc Stans in the speech?  I thought you'd have been all
over that...  I've even done up a lovely footnote on it too.

Perhaps most interesting is LD's comment on other grand charlatans, such
as Yeats and Eliot on mysticism.  Then again, isn't every mystic a fake
in some way?

Otherwise, I still say I recall many things from my childhood that I'm
sure are pure invention.  I've never *really* seen horrible borribles
(antiauthoritarians that they are), nor did a bear really chase me in
the woods...  I wouldn't have outrun it.  I'm also prone to think the
rope trick is more than just an orientalist ruse to keep a flagging
audience's attention -- Durrell wasn't above that, especially when he
was hired specifically to entertain a middle-brow audience, though I
think he was fairly self-conscious of this as an ethnocentric "trick".
I just think there's more at work in this instance.

I'd rather ask what it means that Durrell, a non-patrial barred from
entering or settling in Britain without a visa (palpable at the time of
the speech), would recall a fake orientalist image of India when
discussing it with a French audience?  How "in-between" is his position
when both his Englishness and his Indianness are faked or based on
cultural stereotypes that may never have existed?  Well, probably about
as fake as anyone else -- how many Americans think they get a phone call
if the police arrest them?  They don't -- it's a faked idea for films,
though many police officers believe it too.  We all know things,
especially about our childhoods, that are total forgeries yet form
crucial parts of our identities.  That's (to me) because those
identities are as faked as televangelists and late night salesmen, yet
they are necessary.

I'd be more inclined to look to the Indian double constructed for Walsh
in /Pied/ who can recite Shakespeare (a striking scene), such that
neither speak each other's nor their own languages fully -- setting the
anguish of exile from India and that self-identity in his first novel
against this later speech in French (!! when not English) and its
attempts to assert a non-English identity while at the same time playing
on the audience's orientalist exoticisms strikes me as a crucial part of
Durrell's inescapable in-betweenness.

What if one's nunc stans contained inescapable estrangement?

Cheers from Portland, where I was not the only person to mention
Durrell's works during the Space Between conference!  I hope my sleepy
comments make at least a little sense...

-James