[ilds] the rope trick

Godshalk, William (godshawl) godshawl at ucmail.uc.edu
Sat Jun 19 18:53:02 PDT 2010

Well, okay, it's a hoax. And a young kid was taken in -- as many older folks were. Durrell thought that the hoax was the real thing. Houdini got away with hoax after hoax.
Versions of the story spread worldwide, but little notice was taken of a short note published by the Chicago Tribune  four months after the original story that admitted the article was a publicity stunt. It assumed readers would realise it was a hoax because the story was bylined "Fred S. Ellmore".

Mr Lamont discovered the truth after a painstaking search that revealed the bizarre theories of others who claim to have "solved" the trick. "It is a legend which the West constructed," said Mr Lamont, 37, who is now planning to write a book on its history.

One Viceroy of India is said to have offered a £10,000 reward to the person who would reveal the secret so he could impress the visiting Prince of Wales. And one expert claims it involved twin boys, one of whom would actually be murdered.

It is thought the hoax may have been inspired by the Indian street act of balancing a boy on a pole. "I suppose I have destroyed some people's beliefs," said Mr Lamont, of Edinburgh University's Koestler Parapsychology Unit.

W. L. Godshalk *
Department of English    *           *
University of Cincinnati*   * Stellar Disorder  *
OH 45221-0069 *  *