[ilds] "Our most exalted alumni was Lawrence Durrell"

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 13:34:40 PDT 2010

Hey Bruce,

Look no further than the actual topic of the essay itself for your
answer -- Durrell likely exaggerated, though not quite so much, his
early languages for the sake of emphasizing his discomfited position
within Englishness.  The whole essay points to that.  As for his Hindi
and Urdu, it's sprinkled liberally throughout /Pied Piper of Lovers/,
and Manzaloui complains that Durrell's Arabic words in the /Quartet/ are
polluted with Urdu...  I don't know those languages, so I can only pass
along those comments.

As for the rope trick, I remember many things from my childhood that I
know are not real.  While Durrell was *very* prone to obfuscation and
outright lies in his interviews, I'm rather inclined to be generous in
this instance.  Many but not most of the other lies strike me as
intentional baffle-gab.

Best,
James

ps: sorry for plugging my /Pied/ edition, but...