[ilds] "Our most exalted alumni was Lawrence Durrell"

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 19 09:21:03 PDT 2010

In his 1983 memoir, "From the Elephant's Back" (Fiction Magazine), LD writes, "I have seen the peak of Everest from the foot of my bed in a gaunt dormitory in Darjeeling" (p. 59).  In his biography of LD, MacNiven writes, "Here was an innocent example of fiction revising reality:  Larry wanted to remember it that way.  Everest is not visible from any point in Darjeeling" (p. 40).  I assume MacNiven takes this memoir, in part at least, as fiction — and for good reason.  In the same essay, LD also writes about his early experiences in India, "I have seen the Rope Trick when I was ten . . . My first language was Hindi" (p. 59).  The "Indian Rope Trick" is one of the great hoaxes of recent times, as Peter Lamont exposes in The Rise of the Indian Rope Trick:  How a Spectacular Hoax Became History (2004).  The "rope trick" never existed, but Durrell claims he saw it.  I seriously doubt that LD's "first language" was "Hindi."  Another lie.  Has anyone fully explained Durrell's propensity to lie?  Was it as "innocent" as MacNiven graciously says?

Bruce