[ilds] a "hero" or spokesman

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 15:12:12 PDT 2010

I still remember the first time I read /Mill on the Floss/ in a course
with Mason Harris.  I read Hardy's /Tess/ in the same summer, and both
books sent me reeling through Eliot & Hardy.  I only found Durrell
later, and not in a course...

I'd have to say the mother's fear of Tom & Maggie being "drownded" is
closer to what I'd expect to find in a Durrell novel, not the
tear-jerking sentiment at which the Victorians were so adept.  I
certainly don't read those two types of works in the same way nor with
the same expectations, which I'm sure alters what I find.

Later tonight I'll raise a glass to the untimely endings of all
literary characters, wherever and whatever they may be.

-James

On 3 June 2010 19:28, Charles Sligh <Charles-Sligh at utc.edu> wrote:
> Bruce Redwine wrote:
>> Charles,
>>
>> I too cry over Maggie and Tom.  We should all empty our glasses of wine and cry at the passing of Durrell's Alexandria, which has truly refunded itself into memory.
>>

> I'll be there.  Actually, I have the two finger glass at hand right here
> and now, so /ave atque vale/. . . .
>
> I do not have a sister, but Maggie will always be my sister.
>
> C&c.
>
> --
> Charles L. Sligh
> Assistant Professor
> Department of English
> University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
> charles-sligh at utc.edu

---------------------------------------
James Gifford, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of English and University Core Director
School of English, Philosophy and Humanities
University College: Arts, Sciences, Professional Studies
Fairleigh Dickinson University, Vancouver Campus
Voice: 604-648-4476
Fax: 604-648-4489
E-mail: gifford at fdu.edu
http://alpha.fdu.edu/~jgifford