[ilds] deserving of being called a "hero" or spokesman

Godshalk, William (godshawl) godshawl at ucmail.uc.edu
Fri Jun 4 08:13:26 PDT 2010

  I think one of Durrell's reasons for having Ludwig bump himself off is to allow Darley to grow and take control of the narrative.  As you have said before, more or less, we have to take the Durrell we have, not the one we want.

You write as if Pursewardem is a real person, and as if Durell has no control over the narrative.

Durrell could have sent P to Argentina rather than offing him.

Writers don't "allow." They "control" their medium.That's one of the differences between life and art.

Bill