[ilds] a "hero" or spokesman

Charles Sligh Charles-Sligh at utc.edu
Thu Jun 3 17:43:37 PDT 2010

Bruce Redwine wrote:
> Interesting.  But I wouldn't be so hard on young LGD.  I don't find
> him all that tiresome.  Being young and callow is part of growing up,
> and if M. Durrell is willing to stick with him as principal character
> in three novels, then critics and readers have to ask why that's the
> case.
Absolutely agree.

As my comment about myself "chiding" myself indicated, my previous post
was autobiographical--about my past ways of reading Lawrence Durrell,
all part of the shifting continuum of my personality. . . .
> The ending to the /Quartet/ is powerful, hopeful, and indeed
> saccharine, but I don't see irony undermining any of that.  What's
> wrong with a little "tenderness," the kind that Pursewarden longed for
> ("tortured beyond endurance")?
Nothing in some books--remember I am a Victorianist, and we Victorians
do that better than anybody else.  I cry every time I read about Davy
Copperfield's stepfather beating him, and I teared up in class today
reading about Maggie taking the boat out on the flooded floss to rescue
Tom.  I wonder about the place of this response within the different
terms of the /Quartet/. . . .
>  I would say that the faults you ascribe to Darley are probably faults
> in Durrell's execution and your desire to place Pursewarden at the
> forefront of the story, which he quite simply isn't.  I think one of
> Durrell's reasons for having Ludwig bump himself off is to allow
> Darley to grow and take control of the narrative.  As you have said
> before, more or less, we have to take the Durrell we have, not the one
> we want.

I think I read the /Quartet/ in the opposite direction now.

In the notebooks, Durrell achieves the character who became
Arnauti/Darley (avatars of the same figure) before he conceives
Pursewarden.  In fact, my sense is that Pursewarden occurs because of
Darley, as a necessary reflex to ward off Darley-ism.   Every book its
own critic &c. . . .

Undiluted Darleyism would be insufferable, although I find many readers
who remain loyal Darley-ists to the end.  In the same way, an
all-Pursewarden book would be too brutally ironic and smart to take. . . .

C&c.

Assistant Professor
Department of English
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga