[ilds] deserving of being called a "hero" or spokesman

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 3 15:49:49 PDT 2010

Interesting.  But I wouldn't be so hard on young LGD.  I don't find him all that tiresome.  Being young and callow is part of growing up, and if M. Durrell is willing to stick with him as principal character in three novels, then critics and readers have to ask why that's the case.  The ending to the Quartet is powerful, hopeful, and indeed saccharine, but I don't see irony undermining any of that.  What's wrong with a little "tenderness," the kind that Pursewarden longed for ("tortured beyond endurance")?  This ending is not like the closure to Vanity Fair, where Thackeray provides a "happy ending" on the quay at Ostend, where the hero finally gets his girl, and where the author simultaneously calls everything into question.  That's a reversal of the happy-ending trope.  I would say that the faults you ascribe to Darley are probably faults in Durrell's execution and your desire to place Pursewarden at the forefront of the story, which he quite simply isn't.  I think one of Durrell's reasons for having Ludwig bump himself off is to allow Darley to grow and take control of the narrative.  As you have said before, more or less, we have to take the Durrell we have, not the one we want.

Bruce