[ilds] gnomic aorist

david wilde wilded at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 2 17:32:24 PDT 2010

Black Book (1937) definitely set me thinking and taking Classical Greek (Scott-Liddle) grammar to discover the 'true- meaning' of the aorist - gnomic and otherwise which led me to discover the horror Durrell suffered in his many guises as a Public School (Private in the UK system) student in many a school setting of classical languages and history.  This literary gem (Black Book) made possible by a transatlantic understanding between Durrell and Henry Miller.  Miller advocated the use and misuse I suspect of the radical and irrational usage of grammar previously offered by the likes of Gertrude Stein (Ida) to peform a self-reflecting surreal drama.  Notwithsatnding Andre Breton etc and the 'Pataphysique' art of Henry Miller's pre-WWII Paris.  Amen.