[ilds] Finally (2)

Charles Sligh Charles-Sligh at utc.edu
Wed Jun 2 15:46:21 PDT 2010

>  He was also very
> keen on D.H. Lawrence's notions of allotropic identity in the novel
> from the mid-1930s onward, so a stable character wasn't really a part
> of his oeuvre at any point, in my opinion.

I concur with that opinion.  Reason: the point is not mere theory, it is
a practical reality witnessed in the composition, in the notebook method.

Character development is the least interesting point in Durrell's
works.  That false measure belongs to times past, to forms with which
Durrell finds himself impatient. . . .

Assemblage of disparate parts and poetic continuum are far more
curious.  Not everyone's cuppa, but there you have it.

C&c.

Assistant Professor
Department of English
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga