[ilds] Finally (2)

david wilde wilded at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 1 11:56:38 PDT 2010

"...Let us not forget "in time."

What does "in time" mean? That truth which changes in our perception as we grow older? Remember the passage from Dover Beach..."

And don't let us forget the 'gnomic aorist' either in this typically provocative Durrellian sentence and the cleverly disguised use of his ever enigmatically and yet precisely ambiguous constantly shifting sand-dune-like metaphor of the greek infinitive for 'duration'.