[ilds] Finally

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Mon May 31 10:14:39 PDT 2010

Congratulations on finishing the Quartet.

William Apt raises important questions that, in my opinion, are not answered by raising the old Durrellian placard about Truth and its elusiveness, i.e., "Truth is what most contradicts itself."  Apt, if I may speak for him, is questioning the depth of Durrell's characterization of Darley, who bears the same initials as the author himself, LGD.  I have to agree with Apt.  Durrell's part-time narrator is shallow, as shallow as the tepid sands of the estuary where Melissa lies buried.  Now Durrell, in the execution of his Quartet, may have decided to emphasize the ambiguity or relativity of the world we live in, which makes Alexandria so dazzling and bewitching a place, but in doing so he sacrificed his main narrator and did not make him particularly convincing as a human being.  He's like Thales, the first Greek philosopher, who walked around contemplating the big questions and then fell into a well and broke his neck.  On the other hand, maybe this is exactly what old Durrell wanted.  "Who knows?" as WG might say.

Bruce