[ilds] ILDS Digest, Vol 38, Issue 5_Haag's Many Alexandrias_ "painted in smoke and lightning flashes"_Vintage Alexandria

Sumantra Nag sumantranag at gmail.com
Thu May 6 11:07:09 PDT 2010

Charles, thank you for your expansive response and Hardy's poem. I have seen
some of the poems of Cavafy.

Bruce, thank you for the information on Anna Bajocchi.
I have been thinking about a suitable publication on Tagore with which you
could begin. At the moment I am still groping for one which covers what I
have broadly described as "the mixed world of high Bengali culture and
British colonialism in Kolkata during the early twentieth century in India."
Tagore's novel "Ghare Baire" ("The Home and the World", Macmillan, Penguin)
deals with social situations of his time. But for Tagore's poems, I suggest
the translations by William Radice which were available in a publication by
Penguin. You could also visit his website http://www.williamradice.com/. A
scholar of English, Radice spent time in India and learned Bengali and
dedicated himself to translating the poems of Tagore. Ketaki Kushari Dyson
is another accomplshed translator of
Tagore.(http://www.othervoicespoetry.org/vol10/dyson/bio.html).
You could also see
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0140449884/?tag=amazonsite-20#reader_0140449884 and