[ilds] Vintage Alexandria

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Wed May 5 07:45:18 PDT 2010

Sumantra,

Perhaps you can recommend a book by or on Rabindranath Tagore, one that describes "the mixed world of high Bengali culture and British colonialism in Kolkata during the early twentieth century in India."  I regret to say I have not read Tagore and know very little about his poetry and culture.

Rose de Menace and Anna Bajocchi belonged to Alexandria's high Jewish culture.  Eve Cohen did not; her family was middle class.  In the 1950s, after Egypt changed its policy towards its Jewish citizens or residents, they all left Alexandria and moved to London.  Rose died in the 1970s.  Eve died a few years ago.  Anna married a Greek and still lives in London, I believe.  Michael Haag knows her.

Bruce