[ilds] Fw: ILDS Digest, Vol 38, Issue 4_Haag?s Many Alexandrias_Bruce Redwine

Sumantra Nag sumantranag at gmail.com
Wed May 5 01:56:21 PDT 2010

Bruce's "Many Alexandrias" appears as an intricate, informative and
sensitive creation particularly for those who like myself have not read
Michael Haag's book.

Anna Bajocchi.... I suppose one would have to go to Michael Haag's book to
learn more about her. The photograph is very symbolic of the qualities
associated with the Alexandria of lawrence Durrell. The balcony itself is
symbolic - in the novel, Justine is described going out in the evening on to
a balcony to look at the lighted city of Alexandria while she quotes from
Cavafy. Would you say that balconies and large windows occupied an evocative
space in the leisured world between the two World Wars - I am thinking also
of the mixed world of high Bengali culture and British colonialism in
Kolkata (formerly Calcutta) during the early twentieth century in India,
associated with the landed family of the poet Rabindranath Tagore, the large
mansions in Kolkata and the rural setting of Tagore's school at Santiniketan
located in the vicinity of Kolkata; and the aestheticism which went with the
poetry, the dance dramas and the paintings belonging to that era.

But this photograph of Anna Bajocchi also brings to mind a photograph of
Orhan Pamuk looking over a balcony in Istanbul - probably above Taksim
Square where his home was located - and his memories of Istanbul.

Sumantra