[ilds] sacring-bell (OED)

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Tue May 4 08:20:20 PDT 2010

Hello all,

Durrell left behind intriguing notes for his lecture on Joyce at CalTech
(see Carbondale), but Miller was vituperative in his dislike of Joyce,
though he did integrate passages from (then) "A Work in Progress"
directly into /Tropic of Cancer/.  I don't know if I'd say they used
Joyce as a model, but his presence was certainly felt.

I believe there's a real cases for reading the closing lines of the
Quartet as a parallel to the opening of /Portrait of the Artist/ (Once
upon a time), and my students this term were keen on comparing Joyce's
/Portrait/ with Durrell's /Panic Spring/ and Orwell's /Keep the
Aspidistra Flying/.  It's hard for folks to avoid Joyce...

Best,
James