[ilds] The Greats

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Sat May 1 15:25:26 PDT 2010

Pardon my being blunt, Charles, but I find this response just a trifle disingenuous.  I don't know what's being taught in the university these days, but when I took a course in the Victorian novel, the syllabus included selected works by Emily Brontë, Charlotte Brontë, William Thackeray, Charles Dickens, George Eliot, and Joseph Conrad.  No apologies were offered for these authors, and no effort was made to give equal time to the sexes.  We simply read the "greats."  Or as one professor announced at the beginning of the quarter, "We read only great literature in my class."  Moreover, all these writers were considered "great" by a standard or standards that paid no heed to individual tastes and the rule of de gustibus non est disputandum, i.e., all taste is relative.  I seriously doubt that today's syllabus for the Victorian novel has changed much.  But then I'm always being surprised — and if it has changed, I find that lamentable.  My point:  universal standards exist, and we apply them all the time. Now, we may find it hard to define precisely what those standards are, but I have no doubt they exist.

Bruce