[ilds] Durrell's Diction

Charles Sligh Charles-Sligh at utc.edu
Sat May 1 14:01:50 PDT 2010

Bruce Redwine wrote:
> Which is not to say we don't make judgments and uphold standards all
> the time.  Even you, Charles.

Certainly.  I am ever anxious to underscore my subjective limits.  I do
that by setting those limits at the top of list.

All that I write is merely my way of seeing the matter.   And following
Pater, I believe that, given the difficulties of perception,
"discrimination" is the most important critical tool of all:  "Why do I
find or feel this and not that about the prose style?  What does this
prose style remind me of, and why?"

The important difference is that I do not insist on universal
categories, generalized categories, or ideal standards as the measure.
I do not insist that I am pronouncing according to anything greater than
my taste, my experience.

After all, every sentence above includes the first-person pronoun.   I
learned that reservation--that foregrounding of the subjective--in part
from reading /The Alexandria Quartet/.

C&c.

Assistant Professor
Department of English