[ilds] Durrell's Diction

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 30 19:13:27 PDT 2010

Billy,

Good points, particularly about Durrell being an autodidact and feeling the need to compensate.  I'm not familiar with Fermor and can't comment on him, although he falls into the category of a writer without a university degree.  Joyce and Miller I've read, but their stylistic quirks seem of a different order than LD's.  Early Joyce is purity itself, late Joyce entirely another matter.  Miller has always seemed fairly straightforward to me.  His style is clear, Durrell's isn't.  JJ and HM two don't perplex me in the way that LD does.  Now, Durrell's chosen vocabulary may simply be part and parcel of his Romantic disposition, his infatuation with the exotic, somewhat like Poe's.  Maybe.  I suspect, however, that something else is going on, something rooted in his psyche, if you will.  If I had to liken Durrell's love of words to anyone's, it would be to Shakespeare's, whom the English Romantics valued above all others.  This discussion is, of course, just speculation.  What is needed is an examination of the data, and by that I mean an extensive lexical study of Durrell's vocabulary and usage throughout his oeuvre.  Some enterprising graduate student should take this up.  It would involve a lot of work.

Bruce