[ilds] sacring-bell (OED)

Charles Sligh Charles-Sligh at utc.edu
Fri Apr 30 12:04:26 PDT 2010

Bruce Redwine wrote:

> The human mind is a wondrous thing, particularly LD's, but it's hard
> for me to imagine the old guy lugging around a liturgical term from
> his days in London (or earlier) and using it in 1959, when writing
> Clea.  Has anyone tried to account for L. Durrell's weird vocabulary
> and to generalize that into a theory about him and his method of
> composition?

I would imagine that the source is literary, rather than
autobiographical.  The term has a hey-day in Durrell's preferred
literary moment, 16th and 17th century English literature.

I would check--and will check, when I can--the verso pages of his
working notebooks.

CLS

Assistant Professor
Department of English