[ilds] sacring-bell (OED)

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 30 10:31:17 PDT 2010

Charles,

Thanks for the citations from the OED and the 1850 dictionary.  Apparently "sauncing bell" is a variant of "sacring bell," although the OED doesn't note as such, but that's undoubtedly an oversight.  See  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altar_bell.  I'm not familiar with the term in Catholic liturgy; I assume it's also an uncommon usage in the Anglican service.  So, what's Durrell's source?  "Heytpood's Rapt of Lucrcc" (sic)?  Which must be a botched spelling of Thomas Heywood, who did compose The Rape of Lucrece (1608).

The human mind is a wondrous thing, particularly LD's, but it's hard for me to imagine the old guy lugging around a liturgical term from his days in London (or earlier) and using it in 1959, when writing Clea.  Has anyone tried to account for L. Durrell's weird vocabulary and to generalize that into a theory about him and his method of composition?

Bruce