[ilds] Durrell and Milton

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 11:30:30 PDT 2010

Hello Gulshan,

I'm quoting a paragraph from a chapter appearing in Corinne
Alexandre-Garner's book from the 2008 Paris conference -- I co-authored
this with Michael Stevens, and I believe it's due out any day now.  The
gist relates to archival recuperations of variants of /Monsieur/ and the
first chapter of /Livia/ in its variant published form.

Durrell also cites Milton via John Gray on p. 154 of /Pied Piper of
Lovers/ (new edition) and disparagingly on p. 70 of /Panic Spring/ (new
ed.) on a bookshelf: "Perhaps the way was effectively barred by the
shelf full of preliminaries – permanganate, Milton, Sloane’s, and the
atmosphere of Swift’s lady’s dressing room. Over the bed-head, on the
wall, was a text, such as one sees in hiker’s hostels: The Lord is my
Shepherd." (70)

Best,
James

--->
Durrell ends both versions of the Livia chapter with an allusion to
Milton, who in turn alludes to Shakespeare, and all three were concerned
with the inexhaustibility of the work of art. Furthermore, this allusion
is supplemented in the variant by the obituary of Blanford quoted above.
Both versions, however, end with Durrell’s dual author-protagonists
offering to « wr[i]te a book to prove that the great Blanford is simply
the fiction of one of his fictions  », which contributes to the «
where the importance of allusive relations between texts and authors is
more overt, the reward for such an accomplishment sends the reader back
to Blanford’s obituary quoted above, for Durrell then ends the chapter
with Milton’s ‘obituary’ for Shakespeare: a « star y-pointed pyramid  »,
which derives from Milton’s « On Shakespear ». The matter is clearly
posthumous—the epitaph to Sir Thomas Stanley in Tong Church is
attributed to Shakespeare, and this provides Milton’s source materials
in his own tribute to Shakespeare:

« Ask who lyes here but do not weep
He is not dead he doth but sleep
This stony register is for his bones […]
Not monumental stone preserves our Fame
Nor sky aspiring pyramids our name.  »

For Milton, this becomes

« What needs my Shakespear for his honour’d Bones,
The labour of an age in piled Stones,
Or that his hallow’d reliques should be hid
Under a Star-ypointing Pyramid?  »

Durrell’s gesture to position himself in this tradition of allusions is
a longstanding habit across his oeuvre. In this instance, the palimpsest
of people overlaps with allusion, belatedness, and the author finding
himself and others in the « enormous common grave  » of the archive
(especially since Shakespeare’s epitaph is speculative and is certainly
minor in either case). Blanford finds his own letters in the files of
his deceased friend, and in the last letter that ends the first chapter
with an archival scrap, this grave speaks for both the book and the dead
recipient while Blanford shifts from being an author to a reader: «
later, when the blow falls, and I disappear from the scene, [this novel]
will have to do duty, such as it is, for my star y-pointed pyramid . »
The novel and the archive’s traces of its relics speak as a palimpsestic
multiplicity in which the author is the fiction of the voices that came
before and from which he develops, both within the current text at hand
and in the whole of the tradition that generated its horizon of possibility.
<---