[ilds] "the BBC bohemia"

Charles Sligh Charles-Sligh at utc.edu
Sun Mar 14 08:04:57 PDT 2010

Denise Tart & David Green wrote:
> Good post Charles. I imagine Dylan Thomas visited all those pubs and more.
>
> Have been teaching Dylan Thomas to my Year 11s and, apart from the fact that
> they love his poetry (even if they dont always get it), I have plugged LD
> too. In the the context of oxymorons I wrote up "the moon's cool fevers
> burn" from Bitter Lemons and connected it to Wintry Fever from the Force
> That... well, we had quite a discussion from there and now a new generation
> of young Aussies have heard of Lawrence Durrell - and not the Durrell who
> wrote My Family etc.
>
> cheers Charles and please tell me if the Battle of Chattanooga battle field
> is visible from your office window - although I am worried - maybe you are a
> Confederate in the Attic?????

I am glad that you enjoyed the piece, David.

Your note about pub-life helped me to recall the great
meeting-that-was-not, when Nancy and Larry Durrell tried to host a
gathering for Henry Miller and Dylan Thomas--cf. MacNiven 206+.

As for the rest, certain things I cannot deny--My office faces upon a
Civil War cemetery, our house is on the back side of Missionary Ridge,
and we live 20 minutes north of Chickamauga.

C&c.

Assistant Professor
Department of English
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga