[ilds] Goodness grotbags

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 19 20:00:58 PST 2010

RW,

"PRESSMARKED URGENT" was published in 1946, when LD was in the diplomatic corps.  Durrell wrote a lot of poetry.  He probably thought of himself as first of all a poet.  The Collected Poems, 1931-1974 is out of print.  Peter Porter has a selection of his favorites, Lawrence Durrell:  Selected Poems (Faber 2006).  Get it.  You'll probably like "A Ballad of the Good Lord Nelson."  The poetry ranges from the abstruse, the metaphysical, the sensuous to the just plain doggerel.  He had great range.  I like to think old LD could be as deep and philosophical, as when he was silly and humorous — which is the case with "PRESSMARKED URGENT."  I may be alone here, though.

Bruce