[ilds] H.E. H.R.H and 3R.A.R.

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 17 20:22:37 PST 2010

Thanks, David.  Personally I've always preferred "favour," "colour," "centre," and the lot when it comes to writing English.  My teachers of American English never agreed, however.

David brings up interesting examples and confirms what we know about old LD or LGD.  Now, there's a Durrell poem which has always puzzled me.  It's an obvious spoof on diplomatic or journalistic cablese, but what does it really mean?  Any translations?

PRESSMARKED URGENT

DESPATCH ADGENERAL PUBLICS EXTHE WEST
PERPETUAL MOTION QUITE UNFINDING REST
ADVANCES ETRETREATS UPON ILLUSION