[ilds] Durrell quantum

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 12 12:59:36 PST 2010

RW, I think you can survive without knowing much or anything about Special or General Relativity, Quantum Mechanics, or Jung's ideas about the Collective Unconscious.  I doubt that Durrell knew much or anything about them either.  I hate to say it, but those names are probably little more than window-dressing.  Others will disagree, of course.  The story is what counts, and you're already appreciating that.  It's probably heresy to say, but my favorite scenes occur at the beginning of Mountolive, when the young diplomat has his first experience with "Egypt . . . as one might repeat the name of a woman.  Egypt."

Bruce