[ilds] Durrell quantum

Charles Sligh Charles-Sligh at utc.edu
Fri Jan 8 09:53:18 PST 2010

RW HEDGES wrote:

>  I remain a fan of the duck hunt in Justine but I do love that scene
> where the little guy gets the knitting needle through the noodle and
> ends up under a pile of coats.
Good choices, RW.  Those moments both mean mischief and/or murder.

Durrell chooses interesting moments to make his human sacrifices.   How
might we chart these deaths--suicides and murders, both real and staged?

As someone who read quite a bit of Dickens, I am thinking about how the
greatest "wood-chopping" novelist of the 19th century wood knock off
characters to heighten tension in his serial runs.

C&c.

Assistant Professor
Department of English
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga