[ilds] next topic

Charles Sligh Charles-Sligh at utc.edu
Tue Jan 5 08:33:48 PST 2010

RW HEDGES wrote:

>         The Dennis the Mennis fan club rejected me on the grounds that
>         I was drunk when praising desperate dan and and got my cow
>         pies mixed up, now this!!!

I move that we steer the conversation back to Durrell and his works, RW.

Marc has already retracted his "hate" in a previous note.  Admittedly,
with Marc carrying his thoughts into English from French and with you
enjoying the Veuve Clicquot, something was bound to get lost in
translation.

For appreciation of Desperate Dan, please see Raymond Douglas Davies,
the Muswell Hill poet--Happy New Year to all:

>         We are the Village Green Preservation Society
>         God save Donald Duck, Vaudeville and Variety
>         We are the Desperate Dan Appreciation Society
>         God save strawberry jam and all the different varieties
>
>         Preserving the old ways from being abused
>         Protecting the new ways for me and for you
>         What more can we do
>
>         We are the Draught Beer Preservation Society
>         God save Mrs. Mopp and good Old Mother Riley
>         We are the Custard Pie Appreciation Consortium
>         God save the George Cross and all those who were awarded them
>
>         We are the Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular
>         Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula
>         We are the Office Block Persecution Affinity
>         God save little shops, china cups and virginity
>         We are the Skyscraper condemnation Affiliate
>         God save tudor houses, antique tables and billiards
>
>         Preserving the old ways from being abused
>         Protecting the new ways for me and for you
>         What more can we do
>         God save the Village Green.

Assistant Professor
Department of English