[ilds] The Wise Sage?

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 4 15:34:45 PST 2010

James,

Let's not resort to the trick of psychoanalyzing the critic in order to justify our points.  Let's stick to discussing the issues at hand.

Durrell was very complicated.  No doubt about that.  Read his work and you see the complexity you describe.  This is one aspect of his greatness.  You're surely better read in Durrell's oeuvre than I am, but I find it interesting that your main evidence for his humility comes from a letter to Alex Comfort, which I hadn't seen before.  It's well said and absolutely true, but my question is — did Durrell express these sentiments in public?  Often?  Maybe he did, and that would be to his credit.  (Is the 1960 statement on "the Artist as a public Opinionator" from a published interview?  You don't cite it.)  I suspect, however, he didn't spend much time disavowing his opinions on various topics.  In public, he assumed another personality, the chuckling sage, who would compromise himself and ingratiate himself on his audience.  Michael Haag has made the comment that Durrell was a habitual liar in these situations, given to all kinds of distortions, and that his veracity was not to be trusted.  I find that telling and rather disturbing, and I don't find it excused by a reference to those famous statements in the Quartet, "Truth is what most contradicts itself" (AQ 216, 277).  That's fine for literature but deplorable for everyday relationships.  Perhaps Durrell couldn't tell the differences between the two?  That's my main point, stated before, often.

Are you suggesting Durrell was a recluse "perpetually" flinging himself "into places where no one could find him?"  That's not my sense of Lawrence Durrell living his last thirty-odd years in Sommières, where he was such a tourist attraction that village taxi drivers would offer free rides to his house.  When it comes to the artist as poseur, I do have a prejudice — I don't like it, beginning with Byron.  Call it American prudishness, but it rubs me the wrong way.  Pound, Hemingway, Miller, and many others certainly fall in that category (but not Joyce, whose self-esteem was gigantic but not overbearing), which puts me in the awkward position of enjoying their works and despising their personalities, while at the same time trying to reconcile the two.  Some writers handle their public selves well — Beckett, Faulkner, Roth, and Shelby Foote, for example.  They downplay their roles.  Durrell didn't.  He exposed himself too much and enjoyed himself too much.  He let his big ego take over, which made him look ridiculous at times.  Look at the BBC film of Durrell's return to Alexandria (1977).  If I remember correctly, it begins with a lie, a voice reciting the melting mirage passage from Balthazar, which LD plagiarized from R. Talbot Kelly, and goes downhill from there, including a scene in a café where LD happily applauds a belly dancer, a parody of LD's own comment about Hollywood turning Justine into "sex and camels" or some such.

Last night I watched again on PBS the recent British production of My Family and Other Animals, and I was once again struck by how unkind brother Gerald was in his depiction of brother Larry, who comes across as a very big pompous ass.  Of course, Gerald Durrell's book is a distorted portrait, full of inaccuracies of those years on Corfu, and the film is undoubtedly a distortion of a distortion.  Yet, taking all that into account, the seeds are there for a personality that would later manifest itself in curious ways.

We both see the same contradiction in Durrell's personality, the discrepancy between his public and private personae, but we account for it in different ways.  You want to attribute it to shyness or the need to protect his privacy, if I understand you correctly.  Perhaps you're right.  This is certainly the charitable approach.  But I see something else at work, something sinister.  I believe it has something to do with his ego, his propensity to lie, his great need to live in his imagination.  All of which sometimes make it hard for him to distinguish truth from fiction, indeed, he often claims that there is no distinction between the two.

Finally, you seem to want to separate the man from his art and appreciate the latter separately:  "I stopped wanting authors to be as good as their works a long time ago."  Can that be done, should it be done, especially when both Miller and Durrell talk about living as a kind of art?  So, Miller says, "They are suffering from the fact that art is not the primary, moving force in their lives" (Big Sur, p. 57).  Or as Durrell himself concludes his Paris Review interview (1960), "You see, I'm not fundamentally interested in the artist.  I use him to try to become a happy man which is a good deal harder for me.  I find art easy.  I find life difficult."  If this is Durrell's program, art as a vehicle for living, if he really means this, then we, as critics, should consider how both enterprises relate to one another.  It's the very old problem in English literature, going all the way back to Beowulf, about the relationship between "words and deeds."  Another big difference between you and me is the weight we give to each of those categories.

Bruce