[ilds] Durrell and Borges

Sumantra Nag sumantranag at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 22:26:27 PST 2009

Bruce,

Thanks for your prompt response. I've been reading the novel 'G.' by John Berger (1972). The descriptive portions about the thunderstorm and the demonstration in Milan are endowed with a quality which may broadly be described by the well-worn term "apocalyptic". The encounter with a young but not beautiful Roman woman who tries to shield the young eleven year-old "G" after he drifts into the demonstration with its violent aftermath, is also charged with a brief but emotional quality reminiscent of Thomas De Quincey's encounter with a destituted young woman in London in "Confessions of an English Opium-Eater" when he himself was passing his days as a youthful destitute in the city. The structure of the novel also includes broken and self-contained passages of description and subject matter, elements common to Durrell's "Alexandria Quartet" but more generally, I suppose, to passages from Joyce's "Ulysses".

These are fleeting observations. I am copying this message to James Gifford on the basis of your reference about his work on postmodern fiction and literature. I hope I have got the right email addresses.

Best wishes

Sumantra