[ilds] Durrell and Borges

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 26 09:38:26 PST 2009

Sumantra,

My readings in "postmodern" fiction are minimal, so I can't comment, although that wave seems to have come and gone, with exceptions, namely, Pynchon, who still writes.  The moderators are better able to handle this question, Gifford in particular.  Borges seems quite relevant to Durrellian studies.  A casual reading of Borges's ficciones shows points of comparison.  Take this sentences from "Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius":  "Mirrors and copulation are abominable, for they multiply the number of mankind."  Durrell could have written that, under the influence of the Argentine.  The two met in Buenos Aires on at least one occasion in 1948 (?) or thereabouts.  A lot could be done with those two writers — and probably already has.

Bruce