[ilds] commentary on islomania

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 22 10:24:28 PST 2009

Thanks, David.  Dessaix's observation is an interesting take or expansion on Durrell's "islomania."  It fits in nicely with his penchant for turning landscapes into allegories of the self.  Considering how prominently islands figure in his work, I wonder why he didn't settle on one.  I believe currency problems had something to do with Durrell choosing Provence over Greece.  Or maybe it was just Claude's smart choice.

"Islomania" first appears at the beginning of Reflections on a Marine Venus (1953).  Or maybe not.  Anyway, I'm fairly certain Durrell coined the word, although the OED 2nd doesn't give him credit.  It cites 1962 as the first instance, nine years off the mark, which goes to show you how low LD's reputation was in the UK.  I just took another look at that opening to Marine Venus and was struck by how much it reminded me of Borges.  The mythic aspects, the imagined characters presented as actual, all that.  Reminded me of "Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius."  So the two years in Argentina weren't completely wasted.  Both writers liked labyrinths.

Merry Christmas.  And let me add Sumantra Nag to your list.  Happy New Year, Sumantra.

Bruce