[ilds] Photos, reading Durrell and Greek Food

Denise Tart & David Green dtart at bigpond.net.au
Sat Oct 24 13:27:22 PDT 2009

Great photos Charles. I like the one with the pipe in mouth. I note the a pipe affectation did not last long. Interesting that LD seems much happier in the early photos (1960) that in the later ones (1980s) - post death of Claude. Terrible thing to lose your soul mate and not to find another.

Julia, I am not sure if there is any special way to approach Durrell other than to just read his stuff. I suppose you could read up on the history of the Med., Eastern Mysticism, Gnostic sects and the heresy of the Knights Templar and so on; depends how far you want to go?

I enjoy reading his books and having a copy of a biography nearby so that I can check up on what was going on his life while the he was writing. This can be insightful. For example, as Bruce Redwine has observed, first wife Nancy hardly features in Prospero's Cell and becomes merely N. Durrell wrote the book after he left Corfu and after he had left her, so it's no love story. He saves that more for the Quartet - and here I have to agree with RW Hedges that a decent film of this work needs to be made. Anyone in Hollywood or London or Paris listening? Sadly, I suspect it would attact a Art house audience and end up in a remore corner of the local video store.

By the way, to honour Greece and Lawrence George, I am doing a big luncheon next week with recipes taken from Prospero's Cell. This should not be too hard as where I live there are many Greeks, most of whom, possibly all of whom, have never heard of LD.

octopus in red wine sauce
macaroni pie
souvlakhia
fried eggplant
Greek salad

washed down with humongous quantities of wine, Greek and local. Hey come round! it's only 12,000 miles away.

David

16 William Street
Marrickville NSW  2204
+61 2 9564 6165