[ilds] Fact and Fiction

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 23 11:19:23 PDT 2009

Julia,

All of those, in my opinion, but in varying degrees, of course.   I
add that others disagree strenuously, and I'm pretty much alone in
making this argument.  I've touched on this before in an article in
Arion (v. 16 [2008], no. 1).  The link is below.  Take Prospero's Cell
as an example of what I have in mind; it was Durrell's first travel
book, situated on Corfu, some say his best "island book."  There's a
famous scene near the beginning of the story (p. 16 of my 1970 Faber
ed.; the section dated 18.5.37), where Durrell and N. (his first wife,
Nancy) go skinny-dipping in a pool below the shrine of Saint
Arsenius.  From a rocky ledge, young Durrell drops cherries into the
water, where they sink to the bottom and "loom like drops of blood."
Then blonde N. dives in and retrieves them between her lips.
Durrell's description is stunning.  The scene has the power of poetry
and takes the reader into a world of shimmering images.  Not only
beautiful, it is also philosophical, since the section immediately
follows the question, "What is causality?"  And to ask that question
is to ask what is the basis of reality.  The pool at Saint Arsenius
provides Durrell's answer.  All somewhat overwhelming for a reader, if
one allows oneself to be dazzled by the images.  But what about N.,
who's been doing all the work, while her husband lies in the sun and
dreams?  Wife Nancy is little more than a trained seal; Durrell even
calls her an "otter."  In the book, Nancy, Durrell's wife and
soulmate, never gets beyond being called simply N., and never has much
of a personality.  Instead, Durrell himself dominates the narrative,
and everyone else seems but an adjunct to his ego.  He even brings
Count D. into the book's dedication, and Count D., who takes up much
narrative space, is clearly, as I see it, nothing but a pompous
pseudonym for L. G. Durrell.  I'm suggesting Lawrence Durrell has a
very big ego.  At the beginning of Prospero's Cell, he talks about
"the discovery of yourself" and entering Greece as one would "a dark
crystal."  I don't think Durrell leaves Corfu having discovered much
about his own personality, perhaps because his own prism is indeed "a
dark crystal."

Bruce

http://www.bu.edu/arion/Volume%2016/16.1/16.1.htm