[ilds] Fact and Fiction

jroboston at gmail.com jroboston at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 07:36:28 PDT 2009

Bruce:  You wrote:  Language was his great gift, but he often used it to excess and as a kind of screen, hindering "self-knowledge."

Sorry to be dense. I am not a Durrell scholar, just a reader. Are you saying that Durrell himself, due to his mental state, hid behind his words, his language as a means to avoid self knowledge?  Was he a word junky, an addict of his own poetic writing?  Was he engrossed in his imagination, escaping from himself in some way?   Or was he attempting to seduce the reader with words - did his beautiful language act as an opiate?  Does the reader become mesmerized by the story and therefore distracted (at least briefly) from the process of life and the pursuit of self knowledge?   Julia