[ilds] Fact and Fiction

Julia Roberts jroboston at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 06:58:57 PDT 2009

Bruce:  I wouldn't go as far to say that each of us is as unknowable to
ourselves as the fellow next door.  Instead, I think of Pursewarden saying
"There is no Other; there is only oneself facing forever the problem of
one's self discovery!"  This discovery process is ongoing - yet a challenge
because ordinary life encourages one to find certainties or truths if you
will.  How difficult it is to avoid conclusions, to observe without judgment
one's own evolution and not tire of the constant growth, not yearn for
stasis.  And with respect to ever really knowing another, I think of Justine
saying to Darley "You see a different me.  But once again the difference
lies in you, in what you imagine you see!"   Perhaps one reason I so love
Durrell is that his writings remind me that I should not get too comfortable
in my assessment of myself or others.  Also in Clea, this reference to the
intrusion of the past on our perceptions of the present.  "With every
succeeding mile I felt anxiety and expectation running neck and neck.  The
Past!"   What would relationships be, especially intimate ones, if we could
on some level view each person we suppose to know as if we had just met him
or her?  How would one's own journey to self knowledge be affected if it
weren't influenced on every level by the past?  Just a few ruminations
stemming from my reading of Clea.... Julia